Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal; love leaves a memory no one can steal." ~ From a headstone in Ireland

I'm posting now and not after this weekend because I know that there will be so much to report on Monday and there is already so much.

A week ago I went to see Beauty and the Beast at an outside venue with my wonderful sister Lani. Can I just say the set design was amazing? Like freaking amazing. Amazing as in I wish I was that artistic and that clever? At first I was not sold on the idea, but as soon as I saw how the set was used I was excited. Here is a very lame attempt at explaining the set design. The west wing and Belle's room were set up the whole entire time, but what were they set up on? BOOKS! Huge books. There was about 4 under each "wing" with a staircase made of books in the middle. The genius part of the set design was that the books came out, opened up and became the sets! Talk about stories coming to life! There were books with different languages for titles, even an arabic titled "Kitab" meaning book. I think the most fitting title was Dante's Inferno which was used as Morese's prison in the Beast's castle. It was so sweet and I only wish I had the words to describe it better.
The acting was pretty good too, though I did have some qualms. I was afraid that Lumier would not live up to Ethan who played him in my high school's rendition but he did really well. Everyone kept there accents too. At first I was worried about Gaston because his voice was not as deep as you would expect but he made it work. Oh and Belle was really good. She sounded almost exactly like the broadway singer. The only part I didn't like her in was when she made Belle sound whiny when she didn't get to say goodbye to her father instead of distressed.
Oh and then there is Beast. I didn't like him... Okay so his makeup didn't help at all there. His face looked yellow and like a skull to me, his voice wasn't scary when he tried to yell just horse and high, it only sounded cool because of the effects they but on it. His acting was good though. But this is just me
All in all I would give this rendition an A-. Oh hey look<.< there's my theatre class coming out.
Jumping to Friday night I went to my first club ever! I was kinda disappointed but hey it's teenagers with hormones out the wazoo, whatcha gonna do?
It was pretty sweet though. It was a white out dance. Basically everything and everyone was in white so when the black lights turned on the place glowed. I went with some pretty cool people and laughed most of the time. Oh and I got hit on by some random dude before he got politely nocked away by the guys I was with. I also saw some of the popular girls from my high school and I can truly say now I'm glad I wasn't in that group.
Saturday I went to a water fight and that was pretty fun. Towards the end we played ultimate and it started to drizzle then it started to drizzle just a bit harder. We finished our game, I love nothing more than playing in the rain, and while Mal and I were driving home it started to rain buckets. The rain drops where huge! But as usual for utah weather it lasted for an hour or so.
That night Mal and I went to the Pike's house for a fun night of games. Who knew Jenga could be so fun? Me, Mal, and another girl played for an hour! Rach was going in and out of games because she was supervising the Ping Pong tourny. I played against, and lost, a guy named Brane. Pronounced Branay. This then led to a discussion between Mal and I how it may be cool for the parents to name their kid something off the wall but the kid has to explain their name over and over all of their lives. Brane had to explain his at least 5 times within an hour, and that's only what I overheard.
And this Monday night I went TPing my Bishop's house. It was cleaned up by the people in our FHE group but it was still way fun and worth it. Even if the Bishop's wife caught us in action. OH and did I mention He has PERFECT trees for this kinda thing?


No comments: