Sunday, August 03, 2008

Sunday

"Literature is a luxury; fiction is a necessity."
-G. K. Chesterton

So today was a good day. I was able to go to sleep early last night and I'm sure Muna and Kathlene are glad I'm a heavy sleeper because they were making bracelets in the room we share. Then apparently they did other things too. I don't know because I was out cold. But this morning I woke up in a sort of bad mood. Okay I didn't wake up in one. It was when Kathlene started to move around it turned bad. Muna doesn't get up until a while after us but Kathlene was banging things and being as loud as possible. I can kinda get how Lani felt her first semester at BYU-I when she had that 16 year old roommate. But taking my wonderful mother's advice, I'm trying to just go with it.
Then after a wonderful, but awkward, breakfast we went to the hotel and surprised Yasmine by waiting in the 4th floor lobby outside her door. She took forever to come out though. Ha ha
Then we went downstairs and met the boys and Audrey. While Yasmine had breakfast we talked a little about the host families. Adam was put on the spot because of somethings about the their host family and he went into a reclusive mood. So as we were going to Dabka, I have no idea how to spell that, class I started to talk to him about what to get his little brothers. That helped him to get into a happier mood. I think it's funny because I treat him like a little brother because I don't have one, and I don't think he minds because he doesn't have an older sister. It's kinda a reversal of roles because I'm the youngest in my family while he's the oldest. It's actually kinda nice.
So when we got to Dabka we took a tour of the building that the African Society is in. It's actually pretty amazing. Apparently it used to be an old Turkish prison but three generations ago it was given to those people who came from Chad and other countries in Africa. It's pretty cool.
Anyway Dabka lessons went really well, it was a workout though. By the end all of us were sweating bullets. But in a good way. Ha ha. The only bad part was that during the dancing my camera was stepped on a broke the inner screen. I believe the memory chip and everything else is fine but on the main screen you cant see anything but this crack. Hopefully it can be fixed when I get back to that states in 5 days. But I'm not counting or anything.
After Dabka we went to lunch and then split into two groups, Me, Audrey and Adam, then the rest. We went to Jafar sweets to get a certain type for Audrey and we had fun talking. Then we went to arabic class.
It was good but long, very, very long. Yasmine was there so we got a thirty minute break. On that break I got something for my mom. Now I just need something for my sisters, brothers and dad.
Then we went back to arabic class. After that was finished we all went back to our host families. When Kathlene and I went into our room we found cute little stuffed animals on our pillows. So we decided that it would be a good time to give them the gifts that we brought. I brought 6 mugs and a book of Utah and Kathlene brought a ladle holder and some pens. They seemed to like them so yeah. A cool thing is that I gave them BYU mugs and their niece graduated from there. So they have a connection. Also it's getting less awkward, I think it's just because both sides are nervous. But as time goes on it's getting better.
Well goodnight!

No comments: