Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Dear future children of mine...

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam

Dear future children of mine, I'm sorry if this internship teaches me to ignore your cries of pain. Love, your not yet mom.

For this summer I am doing an internship for a small non-profit organization that does intense physical therapy for children, some adults, with physical disabilities like cerebral palsy. I guess I should have focused in on the intense part of that phrase.
The patients come in for 4 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 3 weeks. 2 patients in the morning and 2 different patients in the afternoon. They are all very cute, especially the little boy who comes for therapy with his triplet sister (is that how you would say that?). I think that makes it all the worse when his cries fill the office.
I have a lot more sympathy for my sister now. She had wanted to be a pediatrician until she helped the doctor scrape asphalt out of my face when I was 7 and I was crying out from pain.
It's too late now but I wish i had found something in IF, or hadn't burned out at school so I could have kept going at the HR office. But like Llama said I'm getting the experience. And I definitely know I don't want to be a therapeutic rec major now.

On a slightly better note, one year ago today is when I first met Georgia Boy.
Well gotta blaze

2 comments:

Lalani said...

Is it too late to find something else? You really shouldn't be doing something you find miserable for your whole summer. :)

Lynn said...

Wow. N's physical therapy is usually pretty gentle, but I remember in the early days how he used to fuss. He soon learned to tolerate a lot of pain. K says now if he says OW it means it hurts a lot because he is so used to hard stuff. Sad, but what a tough little kid he is and how patient because of it. His therapists are awesome people!